Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Saturday 4 November 2023

Busy Week - Fighting in Two Continents

 Great fun this week - on Tuesday I was very pleased to attend one of Jon Freitag's excellent Zoom games. This was one of his biblical scenarios. I was a Hittite, fighting against the army of Ramesses II, in about 1275 BC. I am delighted to say that I was on the winning side; my masterstroke was to manage to more or less hold my flank together, while my colleague The Jolly Broom Man, masquerading as King Muršili III for the occasion, proceeded to win the game all on his own - and decisively too.

My thanks and compliments to Jon for laying on such a great game, and umpiring and game-mastering to his customary high standard. Best wishes also to the other players, for their excellent company and good humour. Jon's excellent battle report can be found on his blog here.


The following day I set off early in pouring rain, courtesy of Storm Ciarán, to drive down to Westmorland, where I was invited to a big, traditional Napoleonic game at the country seat of The Archduke. It was a delightful visit and a fine game. The Archduke was umpire and rules consultant, the scenario was a hacked version of the "Arrival of the Prussians" section of the Battle of Waterloo. I commanded the French, and Stryker, who heroically overcame all sorts of logistical problems to make the trip, was Blücher.

My photos should give a general idea of the atmosphere of the day. I lost (5-2) on units eliminated, but there were also Victory Points available for possession of 3 objectives. My 5ème Légère were finally driven out of Plancenoit Church in the last turn; if I'd held on to it, I'd have scraped the victory on points - though I admit I would not have deserved it!

 
Situation near the start, with Plancenoit Church at one end, the walled farm of Papelotte at the other, and a monument in the centre as defined objectives to gain bonus points
 

 
Prussians attack the 19e Ligne at Papelotte

 
Very quickly, a huge brawl [Scots: Stramash] developed in the centre, while the two armies raced to seize the church
 


 
The attack on Papelotte was eventually unsuccessful, though the garrison suffered heavy losses, and the French took the initiative here on their left
 
 
Elsewhere, however, the Prussians were successful - my cavalry was especially erratic, though that probably goes without saying
 




 
Eventually the 8th turn was completed, and I managed to lose the church just in time. Final reckoning was that the Prussians won 5-2 on eliminated units, and also 15-10 on bonus objectives. The quality of The Archduke's collection and the elegance of his new games room are apparent, I think. These are 20mm figures - a great many Hinton Hunt, all beautifully painted, and also Qualiticast - just marvellous. I also took some pictures of some of the troops who were not taking part, in his very fine display cases - my photos certainly do not do justice to any of this, but I hope they give an idea
 



 

28 comments:

  1. That is one hell of a collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous looking collection in those cabinets. Would expect no less for an Archduke!
    Oh, you did more than hold your flank together in that game the other night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is high-end traditional wargaming, no question. A remarkable experience.

      I appreciate the supportive message about my Hittite endeavours, by the way, but I really messed up in the chariot department - driving lessons needed! The plan was to position my chariots in support of spear-armed infantry, but the lack of brakes resulted in them accidentally rushing off into attack. I must say the rules concerning moving these chaps are cleverly constructed, but I hadn't appreciated the difficulty in stopping the beggars!

      Delete
  3. Tony, I appreciate and welcome your endorsement of our latest Biblical Bash. Positive feedback is always encouraging!

    Archduke has a fine game room with a handsome and luxurious display cabinet. My first concern is how do you rescue these in case of fire or other natural calamity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon - the Archduke's wargames room is in a standalone outbuilding (the place was a farm, and the Archduke and his wife have a small flock of sheep, which they keep primarily as a hobby), so it is unlikely there would be fire. Natural calamities are another matter, possibly!

      The concept of rescuing one's soldier collection from a fire or similar is interesting. If you can see it coming some way off then I guess it would be possible to some extent, but I think that in a real emergency the soldiers, like my collection of guitars, would be some way down my list of priorities!

      Delete
    2. I can imagine myself, in the event of an approaching forest fire, starting off by ordering 50 or 60 A4 boxfiles from Amazon, and about a hectare of mag sheet...

      Which reminds me, I really do miss my old Renault van!

      Delete
  4. Some intercontinental action! Great to see. Have to concur - the Archduke's is a lovely collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more - delightful to see, but also humbling!

      Delete
  5. It was a great game Tony and I only squeaked a victory by burning down Plancenoit church which was a bit sneaky! The Archduke certainly has an impressive collection of figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian - very impressive! I was probably lucky to have hung onto the church for as long as it lasted. No complaints anyway - I was well beaten!

      Delete
  6. Lovely stuff, and that display cabinet, wow! Proper old-school goodness..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some very fine gaming there, Tony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter - yes, an unusually rich week of gaming for me. Unaccustomed as one is...

      Delete
  8. What a collection! What a venue! What a game!
    But whose are the French artillery in the rear view shot - if 20mm they look a bit like Newline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob - yes, a fabulous trip. French artillery - don't know, to be honest. I think my close-up has stretched them a bit sideways - I had assumed they were SHQ - not sure.

      Delete
  9. Wow what a privilege to play with that little lot. Glad you got there okay and had such a good time of it. For the record our biblical game win was a team effort and your flank did all of the real work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storm was interesting on the way down - I'll email you about that! As ever, Stryker has much better photos of the occasion on his blog, which are worth a look

      http://hintonhunt.blogspot.com/2023/11/a-wargame-at-nigels.html

      Delete
  10. A cracking looking game Tony…
    And a beautiful collection of toys… You are lucky intercontinental gamer…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly - very exciting all round. I shall return to my knitting for a week or two.

      Delete
    2. The Archduke was honoured to host two such renowned warriors. It was a great day. However, having met M. S. Foy's collection, there is definitely no call for humility...just Tony being Tony. And yes, those gunners are SHQ horse artillery. Tony gave them a very easy ride, possibly following the chariot incident.

      Delete
    3. The elegant presentation is terrific; my soldiers, as you know, live in the dark. As for the horse artillery, I couldn't think what to do with them!

      Delete
  11. A quiet period followed by two mighty clashes both of which appeared to be hugely entertaining. As good as zoom games nothing can beat being present at the table. Glad you had an enjoyable week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was excellent. On my way home I had a bit of time to study what's happening to the northbound carriageway of the A1 around Gateshead - they seem to be converting it into the backside of the moon. Is this Levelling-Up? They certainly had some big Levelling-Up Machines.

      Delete
  12. Jon does put on a damn fine game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn fine, Ray - new periods, new rules - I have to keep up the supply of Vitamin B12.

      Delete
  13. That Archduke fellow certainly knows how to put on a wargame. Thank you for showing us, Foy, as we rarely get to see this fabulous collection, let alone its superbly stylish setting. My salutations! WM

    ReplyDelete