Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 4 October 2023

Hooptedoodle #448 - Once Again, Nature Attempts to Play with My Head

 An odd time of year, as the Autumn rolls in, and one feature of this here on the farm is that there are rapid changes in the wildlife - especially insect and invertebrate life. We have a house joke here, which is "the crop of the day"; one day, especially if it is sunny after a period of wet weather, the garden may suddenly be full of large moths, or perhaps swarms of bluebottles, or little flies sitting on the whitewashed walls, enjoying the sun's warmth. They are gone by the following day - all tiny cogs in Nature's wondrous machinery.

A few years ago, I got a bit of a fright when mysterious signs appeared on the Velux window in the attic, but it turned out it was simply the track of a couple of slugs (or maybe just one slug?) across the outside of the window. I published a post on this at the time. 

It's happened again. Keep calm. This is this morning's edition.


Since I observe that my previous slug-writing post was almost exactly this time of year, I was less alarmed when a similar sign appeared on the same window; I now know what caused it, this must obviously be the time of year when slugs start hiking around roof-windows, but if it comes back later to complete the drawing from 2019 I shall become very worried indeed. I'm keeping my eyes open.

Last night we also suddenly had a load of very noisy, very vigorous houseflies whizzing about in the upstairs bathroom. Another seasonal crop. They were bouncing off the tiled walls and the mirror - not recommended at all. I don't care for these chaps; one or two can be ignored - they won't live long anyway - but a whole gang of them is too much, and is likely to upset the Contesse. They almost certainly have hatched out in the loft area above the bathroom, probably on Monday when it was warm, and have got in through the small gaps in the bathroom ceiling around the halogen lighting. Whatever the back-story, they were unwelcome [I would be reluctant to create a nuisance in their bathroom, for example, though there might be some philosophical debate about whose bathroom we are discussing here], and, though I am not enthusiastic about chemical warfare, I shut them in overnight with a short burst of Raid insecticide. [Sorry about this - I am not proud about it]


This morning I went into the upstairs bathroom at about 10am, to see how the chaps were getting on. I regret I did not manage to get a photo, but there were 8 flies lying dead on the tiled floor, which is not unexpected. The thing which raised the hairs on the back of my neck a bit was that they were in a straight line. If I'd had a metre rule handy in the bathroom (I didn't) I could have proved it, but they were dead straight - not evenly spaced, but straight.

Now this really does get your mind racing. Another warning from the other side? In fact, it's not much of a puzzle (I am very relieved to report). The poor flies, suitably unwell from their exposure to the spray, must have been drawn to the window (another roof Velux) as the sun rose this morning, presumably buzzed their last up there, and as they died they slid down and fell in a line which was parallel to the bottom of the window frame.

So that's all right then. Nothing strange to worry about at all. It was weird while it lasted, though. 

15 comments:

  1. I dunno, seems to me the sort of thing a gremlin, grumpkin, bogie or house elf etc might do....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross - reluctantly, I have to admit that is more plausible than my own theory.

      Delete
  2. The wonders of nature…
    Did you check to see if the dead flies were trying to send a morse code message?😳

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an excellent question. I'm not sure, of course, but as far as I can remember, the message in Morse may have been "EEEEEEEE".

      Delete
  3. If this was before the enlightenment, I dread to think what conclusions would have been drawn......
    A sign no doubt..... "there shall, in that time, be *rumors* of things going astray, errrm, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things wi - with the sort of raffia work base that has an attachment. At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock. Yea, it is written in the book of Cyril that..."
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is brilliant Neil - my compliments - and to Cyril. I've been trying to get back into my books on Quantum Mechanics, so all of this is less disturbing than it might have been a few weeks ago. I may run a quick experiment: place some coloured counters in a small glass screw-top jar, a few dozen each of red and white; give them a quick shake. If they sort themselves into clearly segregated layers, there is a problem. Sell the house.

      Delete
    2. I can't claim credit it's Michael Palin's prophet in Monty Python's Life of Brian......
      I can however relate that when living in an old house in Cornwall, towards winter we were pestered with bluebottles. As next door was a farm, thought nothing much of it until the numbers were excessive and it was always in the same room.....
      Noticing one appearing near the window prompted an investigation of the old sash window....on opening discovered literally hundreds of the creatures crammed into the window jamb!
      Aside from the revulsion at being confronted with a biblical horde of insects, I'd quite forgotten the incident until now. Not sure how I dealt with it; I may *ahem* have been holding the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner I'm ashamed to say....
      Neil

      Delete
    3. No - I was delighted to be reminded of the Boring Prophets - thanks for this. As I get older and stranger, I find that the most satisfying bits of Monty Python & Co are the asides and the more subtle moments. Your tale of the bluebottles is nicely horrifying - insects packing onto a confined space is an odd phenomenon - we get twice-yearly swarms of little cluster flies; in October they attempt to break last year's hibernation record - infesting the tiny gaps around all the window sashes, ready for a sleep until March, when they all wake up and swarm again. October is the hatching-out swarm (they have spent the summer in the larval stage, eating their way out of the earthworms they have been living in), and March is the breeding swarm when they aim to lay their eggs close to some convenient earthworms. They only go for the upstairs window which faces onto the woods at the back. Even though we manage to wipe them out every single October, they manage to come back to the same window the following March. They must have a brochure from the estate agent.

      Another rather shocking experience here was one Winter when I found our old electric doorbell wasn't working, and when I opened it up to fix it I found the actual bell was crammed with lacewings (of which I am quite fond, by insect standards), which had frozen to death in there. Hundreds and hundreds of them...

      I am also trying not to think about how you decided whose turn it was to empty the hoover. I shall avoid the Eccles cakes at tea.

      Delete
  4. Their mates in France all came out to play at the same time it seems. Wall at the side of the house was thick with them and as usual an unwelcome number of them found their way inside. Weird and very unpleasant. Given that we are experiencing both a biblical « murrain of beasts » and a Tory party conference at the same time, I have to consider the very real possibility that the end times are finally upon us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I would not wish to say anything disrespectful about Conference (as they call it), but it is becoming very like these gatherings of weirdos on the top of some hill in Dorset, on Midsummer's Day, to celebrate the coming of The Stripey Man. It has become so surreal that it's almost not threatening any more. Just people telling lies to impress their friends, not unlike that tw@ Trump blowing off in a New York courtroom.

      Yes, on reflection, I think it actually is me that's crazy; that's less uncomfortable than most of the alternatives.

      Delete
    2. When footage emerges of Fromage dancing with "Pretty" "I used to be home Secretary " Patel then surely the end of days is already here? ☺
      Neil

      Delete
    3. I cross myself silently.

      Delete
    4. Since I am reading about the routine occurrence of impossible events at present, I find myself thinking how unfortunate it would be if a single meteorite falling on Manchester were to eliminate them both. That would be an awful thing.

      Delete
  5. Lets hope they don't come back and haunt their killer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very relevant. Today we have a few more houseflies getting into the bathroom after the last cull, and the newbies are also dying in a straight line below the bottom edge of the Velux window. If I hadn't worked out what was happening, I would be well freaked by now.

      Keep safe, Ray. Tricky times.

      Delete