Napoleonic, WSS & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 23 November 2016

Grateful Thanks from the Wilds


Strange couple of days here - our local electricity supplier has seen fit to do some line upgrades, which is always a good idea, but the result has been that we were without power during daylight hours for a couple of days. We are, of course, in a very rural area - probably only about 14 or 15 households affected by this work - but why November? The first day coincided with the gales and freezing rain associated with the northern fringes of Storm Angus (which was a lot less severe here than further south). It also coincided with the day that Dod the Gardener was coming to trim down the top of the second of our juniper trees, so that our exciting new wireless broadband service may have an uninterrupted line of sight connection from the main transmitter on Traprain Law. The second day, probably fortuitously, prevented the broadband installation anyway, so Dod and the Broadband Men (I have all their albums) will get a second chance at all that tomorrow.

Why November? Is it just that we don't matter much here, or is there some ancient tribal vendetta at work?

Anyway, we've got through the two days. No, the downtime was not restricted to the promised hours - there was a period of overrun yesterday, after dark, when there was not much to do but sit and stare at the log stove (see photo), which is very therapeutic, in fact. Brandy helps, too.

I thought I'd take this chance to thank everyone who pitched in after my plea for help with some Hinton Hunt hussars (see here). Many thanks to Clive, Matt, Simon, Ian, Martin S, Chris and a few others for advice and suggestions, and especially to Roy, Andy T and Old John for providing castings. If I've forgotten to mention anyone, then thanks anyway - this has all been very heartwarming. The project to produce an actual unit of the Husares Españoles (to replace the unit which I currently have-but-hate...) will proceed with dignity and care, rather than speed, but I shall certainly see it through. The tricky bit will be the production of convincing command conversions. You will hear more of this, be sure of that.

Thanks again, anyway - very much indeed.

You may have observed that my previous post on the subject of Trumpo has now been suppressed. I was asked if I had been threatened or imprisoned or anything, and the answer is, of course, no. I thank everyone who contributed comments and balanced appraisal - I simply decided that if I am to be off-blog for a while, I would rather not have a post about Trumpo hanging around as a lasting legacy and reminder. I really don't find Trumpo very amusing at the moment.

6 comments:

  1. Strangely enough I did consider asking you to post something, anything, so that I wasn't presented with you-know-who's face every time I checked in... Hope the broadband gets sorted and the lights are back on, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is now tomorrow - sun is shining, Dod is sweating away (and it's freezing, by the way) pollarding the tree, and I've seen and spoken to the Broadband Men, who are in the village and are totally undismayed by what I want them to do. I'll find something to be miserable about - depend upon it - but it may have to be something new.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully you are all sorted now, and that new Broadband makes a big difference to your internet experience? We got a good bashing from Angus down here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee - still getting around to answering your last email - forgive me - things a bit hectic lately! We were very luck on the Angus thing - no doubt we'll get our turn later in the Winter. Improvement in Broadband (in theory, anyway!) should be a terrific advantage - at present it's almost unusable at times - we just have to find some way of stopping my son's appetite for game downloads cancelling out the upgrade...

      Delete
  3. Tony,
    That's a relief! I was worried that THEY had got to you and you were at the bottom of the North Tyne in a pair of cement brogues.
    Can sleep soundly now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I am pleased to be able to say that I am safe and well, though I'm keeping very quiet about my exact whereabouts until the wall is finished.

      Delete