I posted some photos taken by Jean-Marc back in April, which prompted some enthusiastic responses.
At that time he suggested sending some more photos, this time of a Helm's Deep terrain in 10mm. I'm pleased to say that he is once more as good as his word, so I set out what he has sent me.
Firstly, here are some pictures of 6mm Romans - I understand the camp is Irregular, the figures by Heroics & Ros:
Next we have the promised 10mm Helm's Deep model - first of all, J-M's explanation:
I have sent some pics of the Helm's Deep 10mm model (pics with the model in its many parts, and others where it's ready for battle).
(1) This 10mm model was made by Ken D in California around 2005 - at the time we discussed how to use Warmaster rules in LOTR world. The model was made in styrofoam with machines used for aircraft repairs. The styrofoam is the blue one rather thick, but not too thick. Ken has done fabulous work here. My kids, enthusiastically, painted the Keep later.
AFAIK only 3 models were made (IIRC there was a prototype made before these 3). So it is a rare one, don't you think? It's great work.
(2) The board: you'll notice that Helm fortress is on the small side of the tabletop. This is not a very good choice, and I'll have to fix this later , when I'll go back to 10mm LOTR Warmaster games.
I choose this option for the following reasons :
(a) I did not see how I could model the mountains behind the Keep on a table 2.40 meters long...
and
(b) Tolkien wrote in the first versions that the battle was fought on the ridge where the 3 roads arrive, so .. I supposed the small side could be a reasonable answer for (1) making the terrain, (2) giving the Rohan player the choice to fight there with a small chance against overwhelming forces (In LOTR, if you read carefully, the ridge is used to slow down Saruman's army advance).
(3) Figures. I could not resist, sorry :-) I like 10mm scale figs. Copplestone figures are very nice, I have also converted some figures from other ranges (you would like to see the troops for the Pelennor too). The best detailed flags, Rohan flags on dark green fields, are also Ken D's great work.
Hope you'll like to see the model and figures.
And before you ask, no I did not make a model of a part of Minas Tirith for the battle of the Pelennor (making the whole town, would be, well, something special and probably not a good idea for a battle), but my plans are ready!
Amicalement,
Jean-Marc
The Model out of the box:
The Terrain:
The Fortress:
Figures:
I hope you will join me in complimenting J-M on his work and thanking him for sending the photos. This is an unfamilar world for me, but impressive





















Very nicely done. Top stuff.
ReplyDeleteV good mass effect, but also v impressive if one zooms in on the details.
ReplyDeleteImpressive stuff.Very nice.
ReplyDeleteThat is very very cool!
ReplyDeleteLOTR is one of my many projects. Very interesting using Dark age style armies.
Yes and YES! Both are superb J-M.
ReplyDeleteThanks for showing us Tony.
Best wishes, James
They really are superb. Inspirational too for my own efforts!
ReplyDelete