Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Hooptedoodle #500 - Oddie Man Out?

 I am sorry to note that Bill Oddie, entertainer and birdwatcher, has died. I confess I did not know a great deal about him, I found his TV persona in his later years a bit cute for my taste, but he was a major contributor to the popularity of birdwatching in the UK, and the author of two very good books on the subject which we have handy on our kitchen dresser, so overall he was a good guy, and I certainly offer my respects and regret at his passing.


That's really all I wanted to say about Mr Oddie - I am sure that there will be many tributes elsewhere.

Mention of him and his birding interests reminds me of a very silly old story about my Dad, from years ago. My father could become unreasonably obsessed over things which he personally found interesting, but he treated other people's interests (and abilities) in a dismissive sort of way. For him, birdwatching was somewhere in the middle; he found the birds themselves quite diverting, but disliked what he regarded as the "sort of people" who typically spent their time in the field studying the things. Especially, of course, if their expertise dwarfed his own.


The story, then. Because of some of his other personal characteristics, he, my mother and my handicapped sister, every year for maybe 10 years, used to take a holiday in a very isolated cottage on the Isle of Gigha, which is somewhere near Kintyre (if you care). I saw many of his photos, and heard at huge length how the place was idyllic, being almost completely deserted; strangely, you might think, my exposure to this has resulted in my never having had any wish at all to visit there, though I'm sure it's lovely.

The particular incident in the story must have taken place some Autumn in the 1990's. My dad went out for a walk on his own, to the next bay, while my mother and sister prepared the evening meal. While he was walking along, in his big boots and ancient waterproof jacket, armed with his enormous ex-Russian army Zeiss-rip-off binoculars, he suddenly found that there were thousands of very large brown birds sitting all over the sand hills on the next bay. It is likely that they might have been Pink-Footed Geese on an Autumn migration - I wouldn't know.

He was very impressed by the sight - it was getting too dusky for a photo, so he watched them for a minute or two, and then clapped his hands, loudly, twice to watch them fly away. Then he discovered that many dozens of people in strange outdoor clothing were rising to their feet from behind gorse bushes, sand dunes, clumps of coarse grass; some of them were shouting, some waving their fists, all  of them were very displeased, and a few were heading his way. It seems that many enthusiasts come to this isolated spot at this time of year, in the hope of seeing this life-affirming event.

He must have been having an unusually sensible day; he scarpered, round a headland, and eventually got back to the cottage, a bit late for supper. To be fair about it, he used to tell this tale at his own expense ever after, while my mum rolled her eyes and shook her head.

Oops.


A further digression follows. In those days Gigha was privately owned. The owner of the island was reputed to be a bit eccentric, and he used to manage the letting of the cottages himself. One year, in his desperation to ensure he managed to book a cottage in August or September, Dad contacted the owner (by letter, of course) around February time. The owner wrote back, very politely, and thanked him for his repeat business, but explained that he was not intending to open the holiday cottage books until the beginning of April, so he would get back in contact when that happened. He also assured my dad that he would be allocated a cottage in August.

Dad couldn't cope with not having the deal finalised, and fretted about it (driving my mum bananas, of course), and then started sending weekly letters to the owner, demanding that a formal booking be completed NOW. This went on for a number of weeks (the number varied, depending whom you asked), until the owner sent another letter - still very polite - saying that enough was enough and that my Dad and his family were now permanently off his customer lists.

Oops.

The geese and the birdwatchers were probably quietly pleased. The Isle of Gigha was later the subject of a Community Buy-Out financed by National Lottery and the Highlands & Islands Enterprise. I have no idea where the former owner now spends his own holidays.

14 comments:

  1. Your story of your dad reminded me of a tale from an ex-work colleague (retired) who had a neighbour - we are in the realms of obsessive men of a certain age- hence the trigger to my memory.
    Said neighbour was an ardent Brexiteer, long before the referendum ( no guess which party he will belong to if still alive...) and took his views to extremes; he would only buy British made cars and white goods, which resulted in some extreme searching and possibly rationalisation in buying some very obscure makes. This obsession also extended to holidays; he would only visit British , British Overseas or Crown territories. Some were straightforward, such as Gibraltar. However, he decided to visit the Falklands with his ( no doubt long suffering) wife as he was something of an ornatholgist and nature watcher.
    Normal people would probably fly via South America; not him. He was outraged at even the thought and somehow managed to get on an RAF cargo flight via Ascension Island - something like an 18 hour flight where you don't know which day or time you will fly on due to frequent changes.
    I cannot recall the outcome; it may have involved food poisoning and some difficulties with the flight as a result.
    It's nice to know the British spirit of eccentricity is alive and well, although not sure it makes you proud to be British, unlike Count Binface.....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an excellent story - thanks for this. I know very little about modern RAF cargo flights, but I recall that such flights might once have involved doors on the plane which looked like Meccano from the inside, and crew had to have oxygen.

      This is/was a man prepared to suffer for his principles - like my dad, the fact that everyone else had to suffer too was incomprehensible to him.

      Delete
  2. My incipient OCD makes me empathise with your father about not being able to actually book a cottage but settle for a promise. OTOH I have never imagined I could actually control others to conform to my view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob - this wasn't entirely intended as a rant about my old fella, but he was a horror. He became a Managing Engineer at the UK Atomic Energy (he was an electrical man, not a nuclear one, working on designing power stations), but his career peaked quite early because no-one could work with him.

      He wouldn't delegate any work to anyone, since he couldn't trust them to do it as well as he could, and he was fixated with the idea that he might have to take responsibility for their errors. In addition, he was reluctant to give helpful information to colleagues in case they benefited from his efforts. Eventually the Authority created a fake consultancy job for him, at Risley, so that he could work on his own, and it was so unproductive that quite soon the obvious next step was to offer him generous early retirement terms and ask him to please bugger off and leave them in peace. Unfortunately he subsequently decided to move to Scotland to live near me.

      Ach, well.

      Delete
    2. I'd say his plan to be able to spend February to March looking forward to his holiday was a good one. I hope the family found somewhere else that suited them as well as the island had. Changing tack, I think someone rather famously died of laughter watching an episode of the Goodies - his relatives said it was what he would have wanted.

      Delete
    3. After Gigha fell through, they used to go to the Yorkshire Dales for a few years, which is a bit less isolated. They used to look at racehorses and drink beer, according to the photo libraries.

      They stopped going to the Dales when my dad fell out with the owner of the hotel in Leyburn. Nobody expected that.

      Delete
  3. What an excellent story about your dad and the birds. Today we call obsessive people "autistic" or "somewhere on the spectrum" whereas to earlier generations such folk were just "odd" or "eccentric" or "obsessive". I think of those Victorian clergymen who compiled books cataloguing antiquities or types of snail.
    I recall watching Oddie in The Goodies when I was a kid.
    Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike - the scene with the angry twitchers rising from the scenery feels very like something from a TV sitcom of a certain vintage, but my dad would have made a very unusual sitcom character - zero ratings by week 2...

      I think the Goodies were yet another example of a bunch of ex-Cambridge Footlighters who had to be dumbed down so that the Saturday evening TV audience might understand the jokes.

      Delete
    2. I thought they were funny, but then I was eleven at the time.

      Delete
    3. They probably were funny - everyone was eleven then.

      Delete
  4. That was funny, I'd have loved to have seen your Dad's face, when he realised what he'd done, haha!
    I loved the Goodies when I was a kid, Eke Thump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray - yes indeed, i would have liked to have seen that as well!

      Delete
  5. Laughed aloud and long at that one! Your father very much a man of the people then?
    The Goodies were excellent (and still are on rewind). Their episode about apart-height was pointed indeed. They had great fun at the expense of jingoism.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regret that it seems my old man thought that people were primarily a source of infection.

      I really don't know much about the Goodies. I was aware of them, of course. When I think about it, we never had a TV at home until I was about 14, and then it was only watched on a Saturday, programmes my Dad thought were OK; this was very restrictive - no sport, for example - he hated sport, which he thought was a huge waste of time and effort and public money! I got used to living without TV - never really missed it; I only lived in a house with a TV once I had kids of my own - my own life was obviously a bit alternative too...

      Delete